Friday 7 September 2007

Sex abuse claims

Letters - Friday August 24, 2007 The Guardian

Hugh Madley, the teacher who admitted sexually abusing me when I was a child (Breaking the silence, G2 August 3 http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2140727,00.html), claims he did not initiate the abuse. This is not the first time he has made that defence of his actions; he said the same to police in two interviews under caution in October 2004. How is it then, that in the many letters he wrote to me earlier in 2004, in whch he asked me and my family to forgive him for destroying my life, he tells a different story. (His letters are on my website, http://www.grahamwilmer.org.uk/) Madley's defence of his actions is not uncommon in paedophiles, once they are caught, and can be discounted.

What is more serious, and needs radical change if we are to resolve the fact that only 5% of child abuse cases in the UK ever get disclosed, is the way the criminal justice system deals with historical child abuse cases. At present, the victim is made to feel like the guilty party for having dared to speak out, as I was in court during my case. What is needed is better training of those involved in investigating and prosecuting historical child abuse cases. "It happened a long, long time ago" is not an excuse for failing to take action, particularly for those responsible for child protection in religious organisations and faith schools.

Graham Wilmer - Wallasey, Wirral

1 comment:

Executive Producer said...

All the best to you Graham. Madley did not abuse me (physically) but he would come to take our class, at Chertsey, when our 'regular' teacher was away. He would spend the time telling abhorent 'jokes', making sexual comments, and confusing the wherewithal of this then twelve year old boy. I recall him sweating and getting worked up as he told his 'stories'.